Newtown had a certain importance within Queens County and became a town seat in the 1680s. It was endowed with its own tax office, jail and town hall. Then later, during the mid-19th century, the settlement began to grow more quickly after the introduction of a horsecar line in 1854. And further development subsequently came when the Long Island Rail Road opened a line through the town in 1876.
In 1896 a local landowner called Cord Meyer then suggested that the district change its name to Elmhurst, which did indeed happen the following year. The new name stemmed from the elm trees that were common in the area, although it seems that there was also a desire to distance the neighborhood from the notorious Newtown Creek nearby.
But back to those unfortunate construction workers who had just unearthed something unusual in Elmhurst in 2011. The discovery was, in fact, a body, and it was dressed in a white shirt and socks that came up to the knee. What’s more, the corpse appeared so well preserved that the men’s first thought was that they’d stumbled across a recent murder victim.